Friday, September 2, 2016

Day 9, painting day

Another painting day.
After my walk, Margaret did a demo in the yard of the hotel, then everyone ate lunch, did a sketch of my subject--the entrance area of our hotel.  I was planning to go back to town because it is market day but went to the store of this farm instead and bought wine for my friend, Carol, and some delicious onion jam. Then it was time to do a quick painting since I had used up a considerable part of the day already, so I got out my supplies to see how they would work out.  These painting trips, especially that involve air travel, require minimum supplies to meet airline weight requirements.  It did work well, and I did a painting of the view of this place from the entry driveway. The composition was not the best, so I may try again another day or reference my photos later on.  I took a little nap and then there was a BBQ for dinner out in the garden with many kinds of meat and nice biscotti.
This was preceded by an art show of artworks of the proprietor's relative who was well-known upstairs in a large reception hall, and after dinner Arwed showed two videos of the history of Venice by Great Masters Videos. They are very good if you care to rent them at your local library.
For anyone interested, here is my "kit" for this trip:
1. An antique aluminum easel that is basically a tripod, not small but rather light.
2. 8 or 10 brushes, a pallet knife, a straw place mat to wrap them in, just enough pallet paper.
3. Small glass jar for turps. You can't fly with flammable liquids so Margaret supplies it when we get here. I can do without mediums because these are studies.  
4. Primary colors of oil paints plus white.
5. A few oil-primed canvas sheets (in the mailing tube) and one canvas board.
6. Masking tape to attach the canvas sheet to the board. 
7. A few sheets of wax paper to put between the canvases in case the painting doesn't dry. 
8. A mailing tube that houses the canvas, wax paper, brushes, paper towel sheets.
9.  A clear heavy duty plastic carry bag.




Our pool area.  Did I mention that the weather was consistently in the 90s the whole time we were here?









No comments: