Friday, June 11, 2010

Day One - Qiang Huang workshop

I loved him before, but seeing his work in person is tooooo much!  He brought three paintings along to show his larger format work.  I asked if they were for sale and he said yes, and I asked him to put prices on them, next thing I knew, the one I liked was already sold!  Bummer.  What a way to start the day!
His Powerpoint presentation was excellent then he did a demo which was very informative.  My luck changed as I had the best seat in the house.
Afterwards we set up still-life's all around the room with probably two people per setup. His way of using lighting is great, the best yet, and he came around and helped everyone.  I was using his palette of colors and trying to "get" his technique.  It was a great day.
I did need a drink after and the place across from my hotel was having $5 martinis so I tried a coffee one:  vodka, expresso, coffee liquor.  It was like an iced coffee, but better!
Now I'll go over my notes and look forward to tomorrow.  All the people in the workshop are very good painters and I haven't done still life painting in a long time--it was a little frustrating but a lot of fun.

No comments: