Friday, April 1, 2011

Visit the Whistler House Museum of Art

Yesterday, Lynn Murray and I visited the Whistler in Lowell.  We were both surprised at how much better it was than we imagined.  We were fortunate to have Michael Lally, the executive director, act as our docent--it made our visit 10 times better. This happened because it was transition day, the previous docent was leaving and a new one was starting.  The house itself is a very important historic property, with a newly installed garden and park thanks to the Demoulas family, and Whistler's father was a truly amazing man, worthy of a book of his own.
We went to the Worthen Tavern afterwards, open since the 1800s, and had an excellent hamburger with a visit from the cook.
Lynn and I planned a list of museums to visit over the upcoming months.  I had been thinking about attending the Rockport Art Association's reception tonight, and Lynn sealed the deal when she said that David Curtis would be doing a demo relative to his upcoming workshop at Rockport where the old fashioned method of copying masters' work at a museum will be the theme and he will do a demo.  At this time of year Rockport brings out it's masterpieces so the class will be able to copy works hanging in the gallery.  What a great opportunity, I'm sorry I can't make it.

2 comments:

Georgia Renfroe said...

great palette on that Japan painting Mary. Georgia

Pam Perras said...

Hi Mary,
Thanks for being in touch with me. I'm glad I popped in to visit your blog. It's been awhile. Your work is looking great and I'm so impressed with all you've been learning through field trips, art lectures, and I'm sure, stimulating art talk over delicious lunches! AND you'll be taking a workshop with Colin Page?!! Good for you.